Saturday, April 20, 2013

Today's Adventure in Writing

I sat down to write for the first time in a long time. Here's what happened:

I wish that I could write in the carefree way that I did as a child -- all adventure and imagination and no worrying about my grammar or my syntax or my spelling, no need for it to be something publishable, worth sharing and selling to the world...

I yearn for the escape writing used to give me. Ignorance of scientific facts be damned. My childhood self wrote story after story about space adventures in strangely-named lands with space ships and aliens.

But I don't have the time for such frivolity. No adventure or imagination here. Just a twenty-three year old WOMAN with a rabbit, an un-vacuumed carpet, and a sink full of dishes. As much as I'd love to, my reality is not shirking responsibility and running off on a space adventure. It is sitting down and writing my GODDAMN thesis. Because that's what adults do.

No comments :

Post a Comment