Friday, March 22, 2013

Sometimes, I don't want to fix my ignorance.

Talking to my boyfriend tonight, he mentioned the Cold War. Before he could go into details, I told him: "You have to forgive my ignorance - I know little about geography, less about history, and even less about wars". I then proceeded to assume that the Cold War was a war fought in the US by Americans against Americans and that it somehow had something to do with potatoes. Clearly my knowledge in this area is lacking.

Unfortunately, I have no need and no desire to change this. I simply don't care about what wars happened when and between who. I don't care what was fought over, who won, why it was a big deal, etc. If anything, I care about the reactions of ordinary people; the lives of those displaced and how they were inconvenienced. Maybe the psychological disorders and research associated with the 'victims', but the basic facts of the war or the politics of it or whatever are a complete loss to me.

I suppose part of my thinking here is that I just don't understand why people have to die to get a point across. Now, more than ever, there are so many channels of communication for leaders to converse over, and since personally, I have never had an issue with the idea of compromise and making sure that everyone is happy and has their needs taken care of I don't get why this is an issue. Obviously, that's not the way things are done, and I know there are various reasons for this (some valid, some not), but I don't want to care about the details of a fight - even if it potentially effects my life, everyday, in ways that I am unaware.

No comments :

Post a Comment