Saturday, August 24, 2013

I've come so far, too far to let you get away

The past few days have me reflecting on how far I've come in terms of mastering my anxiety and generally feeling more confident in my ability as a person.

Despite feeling terrible over the last week, I really have to take a look at how far I've come in terms of dealing with my anxiety. I did many things this week that I wouldn't have been able to do a year ago, and even though I still struggle sometimes, I need to remember that I have progressed and that I can continue to do so.

Things I was able to do this week:
1. I asked my boss for an extra day off each week when I realized that my anxiety levels were getting to be too much to handle and I was missing a lot of work.
2. When shifts were reduced for everyone and mine got reduced to 2/week, I was able to talk to my boss and let her know that I need more shifts than that in order to survive.
3. I went out to dinner with a friend and was able to initiate contact with our server.
4. I went in person, alone, to the Greyhound terminal and bought tickets. I also was able to tell the lady that she didn't apply the discount that you get for buying in person without having a panic attack.
5. I initiated contact with store people when looking for things and asked for assistance instead of just giving up immediately.
6. When people talked to me on the subway, I didn't just shy away, and was able to have short yet meaningful conversations with strangers.

I'm sure there are other, smaller things that I did in the past week as well, but these are some of the more meaningful ones. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish next!

No comments :

Post a Comment